Helpful Community Services

If you are in the PA WIC program, you and your family will benefit from referrals to other PA services. While some services are listed below, this is not a complete list.

Education and Parenting

Child Care/Early Learning Resource Centers

Call 1-877-472-5437 – Provides help in finding childcare and helps low-income families pay their childcare fees. (Type Child Care Works Program in search box)


Provides help in finding reading and writing, GED, and ESL (English as Second Language) programs.

Head Start / Early Head Start Programs

Head Start provides high quality early learning and comprehensive family support services for low-income children (ages 0 through 5) and their families.  (Once on the site, select your county)

Migrant Education Program

Call 717-783-6466 – Provides educational and support services to migrant children. (Once on the site, type Migrant Education in search box)

Nurse-Family Partnership (NFP)

Free help for first-time moms in 50 Pennsylvania counties. NFP is a parent support program that pairs you with a free personal nurse who can help you have a healthy pregnancy and provide advice and support as you care for your new baby. To apply, go to or call/text 844-637-6667.

Pre-K Counts

Provides quality half-day and full-day pre-kindergarten to eligible 3 and 4-year-olds. (Type Pre-K Counts Grants in search box)

Family Safety

Car Seats / Bike Helmets

Call 1-800-683-5100 – Provides information on child passenger safety laws, car seats and bike helmets. or

Safe Sleep for Infants

Provides infant safe sleep guidelines and educational materials and assists with portable cribs for families in need.

Health Resources

Childhood Lead Poisoning

Call 1-800-440-LEAD – Provides information on lead poisoning and testing. (Click:  I am a/an, Parent, 0-5 years old, Lead Poisoning)

Childhood/Adult Immunizations

Call 1-877-724-3258 – Provides help in finding free or low-cost shots to protect you and your child against diseases. (Click: I am a/an, Parent, 0-5 years old, Immunizations)

Department of Health

Keeping your child healthy may seem overwhelming, but don’t worry!  We have many resources to help you. (Click:  I am a/an, Parent, Resources for Parents)

Drug and Alcohol Treatment Services

Call 1-800-662-HELP – Provides help in finding a treatment or counseling program in your community. (Click: Get Help Now)

Drug and Alcohol Referral Tool (DART)

An online resource designed to help Pennsylvanians find substance-use disorder treatment options, and other related services, in their area for themselves or for loved ones. The tool is fully anonymous and can be translated into more than 100 languages.


Call 1-800-662-6080 – Provides help in finding testing centers, treatment, and support groups.  (Click:  I’m Looking for, Disease & Conditions, HIV)

National Hispanic Family Health Helpline

Call 1-866-783-2645 – Provides community health services and information.

PA Smoking Cessation Program

Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (784-8669) – Free Quitline Pregnancy Program offers up to 10 free coaching sessions to pregnant women with rewards for each session.  Get free nicotine replacement therapy (patches, gum, or lozenges), if available.  You can get help to quit for good!

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Call 1-877-724-3258 – Provides help in finding free and confidential testing and treatment centers. (Click: I’m looking for, Diseases & Conditions, Sexually Transmitted Diseases)

Special Kids Network System of Care

Call 1-800-986-4550 – Provides help in finding resources and services for children with special health care needs. (Click:  I am a/an, Parent, 0-5 years old, Special Kids Network)

Insurance and Health Care

Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

Call 1-800-986-KIDS – Provides help in finding free or low-cost medical insurance for children frombirth to age 19.

Healthy Beginnings Plus

Call 1-800-692-7462 – Provides help in finding health care for pregnant women. (Type Healthy Beginnings Plus in search box)

Mental Health and Support

Mental Health Association in PA

Call 717-346-0549 or 1-866-578-3659 Ext. 2 – Provides help finding behavioral/mental health services and supports.

Mental Health Services

Call 1-800-692-7462 – Provides help in finding mental health services. (Once on the site, type Mental Health Services in search box)

Postpartum Support International

Call 1-800-944-4773 or text 503-894-9453 – Provides a “Get Help Warmline,” confidential information, and local referral services for those suffering from anxiety and depression during pregnancy and postpartum.   

Nutrition and Food Assistance

WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Hotline

Call 1-855-427-5666 – Provides breastfeeding help and support by WIC Peer Counselors.  Hours of operation: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Emergency Food Pantries

Call 1-800-548-6479 – Provides help in finding food pantries and food assistance programs in your area.

Penn State Extension, Nutrition Links

Call 1-888-778-3535 – Learn how to eat better for less.  Free classes provide simple tips to save money, cook tasty healthy meals and prepare food safely.

School Breakfast, Lunch and Summer Food Programs

Provides help in finding free or low-cost meals for school-aged children.  

USDA National Hunger Hotline

Call 1-866-3-HUNGRY – Provides help for free food resources near you. Call between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m.

Social Services

Child Support (Domestic Relations)

Call 1-800-932-0211 – Provides help in getting support payments for children whose parent is absent.

Housing Assistance

Provides homeless resources and public housing agencies to help in finding affordable housing.

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Call 1-800-799-7233 – Provides resources for help, information on housing, medical care, and counseling 24 hours a day.


Text BABY to 511411.  Get FREE text messages on your cell phone to help you through your pregnancy and your baby’s first year.

PA Benefits Helpline

Call 1-855-284-2494 – PA Benefits Helpline provides information on Health Care: Medical Assistance (MA) and CHIP, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), cash assistance, Child Care Works Program, school meals, Early Intervention, and energy assistance (LIHEAP).  (Click: Application for Benefits)

Have a question? Check out our list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
or ask us a question.